Sunday, February 24, 2013

Interview With Chris Corneal

So after my interview, I realized that it didn't go exactly as planned, as most interviews do.  I didn't end up talking to him too much about his writing style, I focused more on the field itself because I was very interested in what he does as a freelance designer, and as a professor here at Michigan State.  He said a few things about things he has to write: he has to collaborate with his clients, which requires some communication through proposals, drafts, etc. That differs to what we do in class, or what we have discussed in class because it's not for entertainment purposes, or to be complexly written.  It's written to describe the process in which he designed the piece, or what it's supposed to convey.
As for the actual interview, here's some of what Prof. Corneal said (paraphrased):

  • What's your favorite part(s) about the field (freelance design)?
    • His favorite part about the field is the level of variety in his different jobs. He enjoys being able to mix it up, which keeps the job interesting because he's not doing the same thing every day.  This allows him to still have a rather high level of creative input with whatever the client wants, while still conveying whatever message they hired him to convey. 
  • What's your least favorite part about the field?
    • He said variety is just as much his least favorite part as it is his favorite.  Some clients fail to respect and trust his expertise, so when there's a broad window for creative freedom in a project, sometimes him and the client don't end up on the same page.  
  • What did you struggle with in the field?
    • He was talking about how graphic design in school was very much and individual process, so he got used to that, but when the real world came around, he had to quickly learn how to collaborate with clients and learn how to deal with different types of people.
  • What does a freelance designer do exactly? 
    • Most of his work consists of identity and branding projects, book covers, posters, and some web design.
  • When did you know you wanted to pursue graphic design?  What triggered this decision?
    • He said he has always drawn ever since he was a little kid.  He thought of it just as a hobby, then when he went into advertising in college, he wanted more creative freedom and found out there was a graphic design program he could get into.  Then it took off from there.
  • Who did you look up to when you were just starting off? Did you have a certain professor or role model that really showed you that you wanted to do this?
    • He said that one of the most influential designers during the time he was just beginning was David Carson.  He kind of defined "grunge typography" based on "readability vs. legibility".  
  • What's a trend that's really taking off in design right now?
    • With the big emphasis on technology and all of the digital graphics in the business, a lot of designers are trying to turn to hand drawn and handmade images/typography to give their work a more realistic, honest feel.
  • What technologies/programs are becoming key in the field?
    • Adobe Creative Suite basically has a monopoly in print work and image work for it's quality and user-friendliness.
  • Do you have any words of advice for me if I decide to pursue my interest in the field?
    • Take it seriously.  Some people don't look at graphic design as a serious field, but moreso as a hobby.  Come at design with a very serious, yet creative approach, then find a different hobby.  
    • Do research.  See what other designers have done, and seek inspiration from what they've done.  You'll discover things you didn't even know were out there.  
This was a very helpful interview that I had with Professor Corneal.  It was interesting to talk to someone in the field and get firsthand answers about the questions I haven't found answers for through other sources.  

3 comments:

  1. I found this interview to be very interesting. Graphic design is a field you don't always hear a lot about. My aunt is in graphic design and she works in Chicago, so this is was my jumping off point for reading this post. I can easily believe that most people don't take graphic design seriously or think of it as a major. Honestly I didn't even know that graphic design was a major here at MSU. From this interview I am able to get a real sense of what it is like to be a graphic designer. From what he describes, graphic design sounds much different and more exciting than from what the normal person would think of. I always loved to draw when I was younger, but stopped over time as I reached my teenage years. I wish I would have known more about graphic design back then because it may have influenced me to stick with my art. I think this interview will honestly help people have a much clearer understanding of what graphic design truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that it was good that after your interview, you mentioned that you could have improved in a few areas. Listing what you could have improved on is a good strategy to use, and it helps you to know how to improve in future interviews that you will have. You also asked a lot of questions, and they were very comprehensive and relevant to your field. What I would have liked to hear about is how your views and goals changed after this interview. Also, how did this professional in graphic design help you in deciding what you want to do as an occupation in the future. Overall, this is a very interesting interview, and helped me to better understand the requirements of being a graphic designer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog was really cool to read about some of the finer details of graphic design and what about it that to a pretty prominent graphic design professor. I really liked the fact that you were able to stray away from the parameters and dig deeper into what interested you about the field. I think that level of interest and commitment to learning is what can set someone apart from the rest of the field. You were also able to briefly talk about some of the writing that goes on as well, which I can't really imagine there being much of in graphic design, which is probably a relief for you as it would be for me. That's great that you were able to talk with a professor though, and hopefully one that is teaching here. That would be a great way to get a head start both in the major, and possibly even in the job search. Keep up the good blogging my man!

    ReplyDelete