Sunday, February 17, 2013

Interview Questions: Chris Corneal

I am doing my interview with Michigan State Graphic Design professor, Chris Corneal.  In his profile on the MSU art department's website, a little bit of background is given about Prof. Corneal.
Chris Corneal is Associate Professor of Graphic Design in the Department of Art | Art History | Design at Michigan State University. In addition to his regular teaching duties, Prof. Corneal also serves as the Faculty Advisor for Design Center and the Director of Design Internships. He received his BFA in Graphic Design from Western Kentucky University and his MFA in Graphic Design from University of Memphis.
My interview isn't going to happen until this Monday, but here are some of the questions I've prepared to talk to him about:

  • What's your favorite part about the field?
    • What's your least favorite part?
  • As a freelance designer, what are some of the best aspects of the job and some of the worst aspects?
    • What did you struggle with?
    • What came easily?
  • What does a freelance designer do exactly?
  • When did you know you wanted to work in this field? And what triggered this decision? Talent, passion, curiosity, etc?
  • Who did you look up to when you were just starting off? Did you have a certain professor or a role model that really showed you that this was what you wanted to do?
  • What's a trend that's really taking off in design right now?
    • What technologies/programs  are becoming key in the field?
  • What do you do here at Michigan State as a professor? How did that job come about?
  • Do you have any words of advice for me if I decide to pursue my interest in the field?
I'll use these as a basis for the interview, then build on them through conversation which will end up giving me answers I wasn't even searching for.  I'm also talking to him about the graphic design major itself because I want to find out more information about it so I can begin to decide whether or not to pursue graphic design.  I'm very excited for this interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment